Deadline for applications for The Ray Goodfellow Scholarship Fund is March 27, 2020.
The award is sponsored by the Crane Rental Association of Ontario and International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 793.
The award is named after the late Ray Goodfellow, who owned Whiskey Jack Cranes Inc. Ray was president of the Crane Rental Association of Ontario, a 24-year member of Local 793, and a management trustee on the union’s training and life and health benefits trust funds.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the applicant must be the son, daughter or grandchild of one of the following:
- A Crane Rental Association of Ontario (CRAO) company owner; or
- An Employee of a CRAO company; or
- An IUOE Local 793 member in good standing who is employed by a company that is an active member of the CRAO that works in the crane rental or concrete pump sectors.
Each year, a committee appointed by the Crane Rental Association of Ontario board of directors determines the amount and number of scholarships to be awarded. In 2019, three awards of $5,000 each were awarded.
The scholarship recipient must be entering the first or subsequent year of a full-time course of study (at least two years in length) leading to a diploma, certificate or degree from any recognized public Canadian college or university.
Eligible persons are able to apply more than once. However, once they have received a bursary they are no longer eligible to receive another award.
Applications must be supported by:
- Transcripts of high school/ post-secondary achievement, and
- Accompanied by a detailed letter of recommendation from an individual with personal academic knowledge of the candidate, outlining reasons why the bursary should be awarded.
Applicants must also submit a one thousand (1,000) word essay on the subject of either A or B:
A: The reason(s) why the scholarship will be of assistance.
B: The impact of being a dependent or grandchild of an active member of the Crane Rental Association of Ontario working in the crane rental and concrete pump sectors.
Click here to download an application.