Local 793 director of Toronto area and organizing Ron Hillis retired June 30.
Ron was on staff for 20 years and has been in the union for 28. He started his career with the union in 1988 and learned how to operate different pieces of heavy equipment while working at a small company in Collingwood.
Ron became a Local 793 staff member in 1997 when he was hired as a business rep for the Toronto area by business manager Mike Gallagher.
He’s held a number of positions over the years.
In 2005, he was appointed as supervisor for Toronto and vicinity and in 2013 he became director of organizing. In 2016, he was appointed director of Toronto area and organizing.
Ron was elected as a trustee in 2000. He was a trustee for 12 years and in 2012 was elected to the executive board. He was re-elected to the executive board in the last election in 2016.
Ron was also a trustee on the union’s life and health benefits plan and served as recording secretary, treasurer and then president of Local 793’s non-profit housing board.
Ron’s daughter, Amanda, and son, Jason, are both Operating Engineers.
With Ron’s departure, business manager Gallagher announced that:
- Assistant labour relations manager Dave Turple has been appointed as director of Toronto area.
- Assistant director of Toronto area Mike Scott has been appointed as the provincial pipeline/distribution rep.
Meanwhile, the union’s officers met July 4 and:
- Dave Turple tendered his resignation as a Local 793 trustee effective July 4.
- Andrew Patton tendered his resignation as Local 793 guard effective July 4.
In accordance with Article XXIV, Subdivision 1, Section (f) of the IUOE Constitution, the following appointments were made:
- Dave Turple was appointed as a Local 793 executive board member.
- Andrew Patton was appointed as a Local 793 trustee.
- Justin O’Neill was appointed as Local 793 guard.