Bondfield Construction Company Ltd. has signed an $80.5-million contract to build three venues for the Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games.
The company will build the Markham Pan Am Centre, including a new, 50-metre Olympic-sized pool. The centre will host water polo, table tennis and badminton competitions. Construction is expected to begin in the coming weeks.
Bondfield will also build a field hockey centre on the downtown St. George campus of the University of Toronto, and undertake renovations and improvements to the Etobicoke Olympium facility, which will be the training site for swimming, water polo, diving and synchronized swimming. The projects are expected to begin next year.
The contract was signed recently with Infrastructure Ontario, the federal government and City of Toronto.
At the peak of construction, it is estimated that 200 workers will be on the sites daily.
Ontario Infrastructure Minister Bob Chiarelli said the announcement is an important step forward for the Games.
“Our investment, along with the contribution of the other private and public sector partners in the Games will ensure that the construction of these world-class sport venues will help stimulate local economies, create jobs and contribute to a high quality of life.”
Following is an update on the status of other projects for the Games:
- Athletes’ Village: Construction started in January on the athletes’ village in the West Don Lands area of Toronto. The village will be home for 10,000 athletes, coaches and team officials during the Games.
- Aquatics Centre, Field House and Canadian Sport Institute Ontario (CSIO): Construction started in July on the three projects. They’re being built on property owned by the City of Toronto and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus.
- Hamilton Soccer Stadium: Construction will begin later this year on a soccer stadium for the Games in Hamilton. The stadium will host soccer competition for the Games and then become a permanent home for the Hamilton Tiger Cats.
- Athletics Stadium: Construction will begin later this year on the 5,000-seat stadium at York University in Toronto.
- Milton Velodrome: Construction will begin in early 2013 on the velodrome, which will host track cycling competition during the Games.