The Local 793 SUB Plan is a separate Trust Fund designed to provide Employment Insurance (EI) top-up benefits to members for a maximum of 6 weeks (in a calendar year).
The top-up benefit will be up to $250 per week, in addition to any EI benefits the member receives from Service Canada. The maximum SUB Plan top-up benefit is $1,500 per calendar year.
Effective November 1, 2020, eligible members can start applying for SUB Plan top-up benefits.
Having a registered SUB Plan with the federal government will ensure the top-up benefit of up to $250 per week does not reduce members’ EI benefits and the top-up benefit is not subject to EI contributions or CPP contributions.
LOCAL 793 SUB PLAN DETAILS
- The Local 793 SUB Plan will start on November 1, 2020.
- The Local 793 Relief Grant Portal/interface on the Union website has been reprogrammed to allow members to also apply for the SUB Plan benefit payments (see image below).
- Local 793’s database has already been programmed to segregate and calculate all SUB Plan contributions from employers as of May 1, 2020.
- All 15 contractor associations and 131 independent contractors have signed a Letter of Understanding (LOU) to participate. Remember, if your company has not signed a LOU, the Union cannot provide you with SUB Plan top-up benefit payments.
WILL I BE ELIGIBLE?
Members will be eligible if:
1. Their employer(s) remits to the Local 793 SUB Plan.
2. The member has at least 500 hours remitted* on their behalf.
3. The member is in receipt of EI benefits as a result of:
– Temporary work stoppage;
– Illness or injury;
– Maternity or parental leave
You will not be eligible for the SUB Plan if you are receiving Local 793 pension benefits or are a surviving spouse or in receipt of Local 793 long-term disability benefits.
* You must have worked a minimum of 500 hours in the last 12 months prior to your claim to be eligible. The minimum 500 hours is applicable to the 2020 calendar year only.
HOW DO I APPLY TO THE SUB PLAN?
Effective November 1, 2020, the Local 793 SUB Plan top-up benefit will be accessible on the Union website via your member profile. Once logged in to your member account profile, scroll down to RELIEF GRANT AND SUB PLAN and click the APPLY HERE button.