The following article appeared in Daily Commercial News
Sept. 14 was a banner day for Ontario’s water and wastewater construction sector as the provincial government stepped up to announce new funding to supplement federal support previously earmarked for its new Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (CWWF).
The result is $1.1 billion in joint federal, provincial and municipal spending on 41 Ontario water and wastewater projects, news that thrilled Giovanni Cautillo, executive director of the Ontario Sewer and Watermain Construction Association (OSWCA).
The announcement was made by federal Minister of Infrastructure Amarjeet Sohi, provincial Minister of Infrastructure Bob Chiarelli and Toronto Mayor John Tory at Toronto’s Port Lands. The three levels of government will be spending $83 million on flood-protection measures in the area as part of the pre-development phase of the Port Lands.
Calling the news “fantastic,” Cautillo said the provincial portion of the spending was “found money.”
“It was not identified in the provincial budget,” he said. “It was unallocated money.
Click here to see rest of article