By Joe Redshaw
Local 793 President
This year the Jack Redshaw Scholarship Fund awarded 10 scholarships of $2,000 each.
Due to the generosity of the Crane Rental Association of Ontario, an additional two dependants of Local 793 members were also awarded $2,000 each.
I would like to extend a very big thank you to the Crane Rental Association for making this donation.
On behalf of the Jack Redshaw Scholarship committee, I would like to congratulate the following successful applicants for the scholarship awards:
- Stefanie Bogaert – Sarnia Area
- Devon Coles – Hamilton Area
- Ryan Coulson – Toronto Area
- Mitchell Fedorchuk – St. Catherine’s Area
- Robyn Hansen – Hamilton Area
- Sarah Kazak – Ottawa Area
- Lindsay Kuiack – Cambridge Area
- Darquise Mantha – Sudbury Area
- Alexandra Scandolo – Toronto Office
- Benjamin Schwarz – Toronto Area
- Nicole Selman – Sarnia Area
- Irena Sziler – Windsor Area
The cost of post-secondary education today is estimated at up to $20,000 a year for tuition, books, residence, parking and travel. Therefore, the $2,000 will be of a great assistance to the sons, daughters and grandchildren of our members.
I would encourage those that were not successful this year to reapply and those who are moving into post-secondary education next year to click here to download the application.
The criteria is as follows:
- The awards are available to the sons, daughters and grandchildren of members who are in good standing at the time of selection of the awards.
- The scholarship recipient must be entering the first or subsequent year of a full-time course of study (at least two years in length) leading to a diploma, certificate or degree from any recognized public Canadian college or university.
Applications must be supported by transcripts of high school achievement and accompanied by a detailed letter of recommendation from an individual with personal academic knowledge of the candidate, outlining reasons why the scholarship should be awarded.
In addition, applicants must submit a 1,000-word essay on the reason(s) why the scholarship will be of assistance and the impact that being a dependent or grandchild of a Local 793 union member has had on the applicant’s life.
Once the recipients have been selected, they will be notified and asked to provide further proof from the Office of the Registrar that they are currently attending full-times studies in their selected program.
Eligible persons are able to apply more than once, however, once they have received a bursary, they are no longer eligible to receive another award.
The deadline for receipt of the application shall be the first Friday in the month of September.