Winners of the Jack Redshaw Scholarship have been announced.
A total of 12 scholarships of $2,000 each were awarded. The Crane Rental Association of Ontario donated funds for two of the awards.
Local 793 president Joe Redshaw said in a statement that he would like to thank the Crane Rental Association for making the donation.
The scholarship winners were:
- Stefanie Bogaert – Sarnia area
- Devon Coles – Hamilton area
- Ryan Coulson – Toronto area
- Mitchell Fedorchuk – St. Catherine’s area
- Robyn Hansen – Hamilton area
- Sarah Kazak – Ottawa area
- Lindsay Kuiack – Cambridge area
- Darquise Mantha – Sudbury area
- Alexandra Scandolo – Toronto area
- Benjamin Schwarz – Toronto area
- Nicole Selman – Sarnia area
- Irena Sziler – Windsor area
The criteria for the scholarships is as follows:
- The awards are available to the sons, daughters and grandchildren of members who are in good standing at the time of selection of the awards.
- The scholarship recipient must be entering the first or subsequent year of a full-time course of study (at least two years in length) leading to a diploma, certificate or degree from any recognized public Canadian college or university.
Applications must be supported by transcripts of high school achievement and accompanied by a detailed letter of recommendation from an individual with personal academic knowledge of the candidate, outlining reasons why the scholarship should be awarded.
In addition, applicants must submit a 1,000-word essay on the reason(s) why the scholarship will be of assistance and the impact that being a dependent or grandchild of a Local 793 union member has had on the applicant’s life.
Once the recipients have been selected, they will be notified and asked to provide further proof from the Office of the Registrar that they are currently attending full-time studies in their selected program.
Eligible persons are able to apply more than once, however, once they have received a bursary, they are no longer eligible to receive another award.
The deadline for receipt of the application shall be the first Friday in the month of September.
Application forms are available on Local 793’s website or from area offices.