Another heat wave is upon us, and Local 793 would like to remind all Brothers and Sisters of some steps you can take to help prevent Heat Stress.
The Ministry of Labour recommends the following:
- Drink a cup of water every 20 minutes
- Avoid working in direct sunlight if possible
- Reduce the pace of work • Increase the number of breaks
- Take breaks in a cool shaded area
- Schedule heavy work for cooler periods
- Wear light-coloured clothing
- Reduce the physical demands of work
Employers have a duty under clause 25 (2)(h) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act to take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances for the protection of a worker. This includes developing policies and procedures to protect workers in environments that are hot because of process and/or weather. Any member with concerns about their employer not taking appropriate steps to help workers avoid heat stress and exhaustion should contact their union for assistance.